Milford Farmers’ Market kicks off season-long run of fresh food, family-fun, music, events, more
Weekly market to draw hundreds each Thursday, May 5 through Oct. 20
MILFORD, Mich. (May 6, 2016) – Just in time for the warmer weather, the Milford Farmers’ Market launched into the 2016 season on Thursday, May 5, with visions of local farmers unloading freshly picked harvest, the scent of sweet strawberries and kettle corn popping and the sounds of the community gathering for great local music. The vibrant weekly event draws hundreds of locals and visitors from across southeast Michigan into downtown Milford every Thursday from 3-8 p.m. May 5 to Oct. 20. With a wide array of live entertainment, contests, children’s activities and of course, fresh Michigan produce and handcrafted goods, the season kickoff is highly anticipated each year.
“People love to come back to our farmers’ market because there’s always something new to buy, see and do,” said Kelley Kirchner, marketing and events coordinator for the Milford Farmers’ Market. “From freshly picked fruits and vegetables to family-friendly activities, kid’s crafts and live music, the market is a great opportunity to meet new friends and enjoy an evening in beautiful downtown Milford.”
Shoppers looking to get their fix of Michigan-grown, organic, locally-sourced and handcrafted offerings will not be disappointed with this year’s showing. Returning vendors that fans know and love will include: Christine’s Goats Milk Soaps; Cloud 9 Cookies; Diana’s Heirloom Produce; Farm Boy Produce; Great Harvest Bread; Hollow Tree Honey; Huff Farm; Irene’s Beans; Peru’s Most Delicious; S and S Kettle Corn; Warner Orchard; and more.
New vendors setting up shop, include: AAPCO Farms, run by a Milford resident operating an urban farm in Detroit; The Cheese People, a small-production cheese vendor whose name says it all, based out of Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Sugar Happy Cookies, perfectly cut out, and irresistibly iced treats.
Every year, special events and programming add to the market’s appeal throughout the season, including:
· Opening Day Cinco de Mayo celebration on May 5, featuring kids’ crafts, a piñata, live entertainment, delicious ethnic treats and more.
· A visit from the Ann Arbor Symphony on July 14, who will perform “Taste of Music,” and host the instrument petting zoo experience, where children can try out various musical instruments for themselves.
· The return of the Olde Time Country Fair on August 11, a local favorite with music, a pie eating contest, children’s games and a historical site tour.
· The Third Annual Dog Fashion Show on September 8, a must-attend for pet lovers, where doggie divas strut the red carpet in costume.
The Milford Farmers’ Market is proud to host the following lineup of musicians and groups, praised by fan bases throughout Michigan, the Midwest and beyond:
· May 19 – Austin Scott
· May 26 – Half Whacked
· June 2 – Julie Haven
· June 9 – Ken Mitchell
· June 16 – The Delivery Boys
· June 23 – JT AcousticLee
· June 30 – Austin Scott
· July 7 – JT AcousticLee
· July 14 – Ann Arbor Symphony
· July 21 – Cass Dufrin
· July 28 – Eric Caughey Duo
· August 4 – Mary McGuire
· August 11 – Austin Scott
· August 18 – Erin Caughey Duo
· August 25 – The Delivery Boys
· September 1 – Half Whacked
· September 15 – Ken Mitchell
· September 22 – Austin Scott
· September 29 – Julie Haven
· October 6 – Cass Dufrin
· October 13 – Ken Mitchell
· October 20 – Austin Scott
Performances take place 5-7:30 p.m. on most Thursdays during the course of the market season.
“The Village of Milford has so much to offer, with incredible restaurants and wonderful shopping downtown, surrounded by beautiful views and opportunities to explore the outdoors,” said Marc Weinbaum, Milford Downtown Development Authority board member. “The annual Milford Farmers’ Market brings even more life and culture to our Village, and it is an absolute a must-see.”
The Milford Farmers’ Market is located on East Liberty Street between South Main and Union streets. Please visit the website for directions.
About the Milford Downtown Development Authority
Established by ordinance in 1982, the Milford Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is a commercial district revitalization organization dedicated to building an attractive environment in which people can shop, live and play. To learn more about downtown Milford, visit www.meetmeinmilford.com.